- Wacom tablet not connecting with Ubuntu Linux
Wacom One CTL-672/KO-CX tablet was not connecting with a laptop running Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS. It was working fine earlier, with the wacom driver obtained from the Linux Wacom Project. The Linux kernel on the laptop had been updated recently. The following error messages were ...
- Connecting Wacom One CTL-672/KO-CX tablet to Ubuntu Linux
Wacom One CTL-672/KO-CX is an 8.5 inch x 5.3 inch graphic tablet which can be connected to a computer via a USB port. The tablet comes with a pressure sensitive cordless ...
- nginx 502 Bad Gateway
1.0 502 Bad Gateway
After the update of Linux on the web server, the website would not open in the browser. Instead the following error was displayed.
502 Bad Gateway nginx/1.14.0
First we check the nginx server.
- MCE hardware error cpu 0
While running Ubuntu 18.04.1 on a laptop, the following errors were observed.
mce: hardware error cpu 0 machine check 0 bank 6 ae0000000040110a mce: hardware error tsc 0 addr ffb07540 misc 238a0000086 mce: hardware error processor 0:40651 time 1540082330 socket 0 Apic 0 microcode 24 ipmi dmi invalid offset 0
The system would stop in ...
- Failed to fetch webpage, temporary failure resolving domain
While configuring a Linux server, the error
Failed to fetch webpage, temporary failure resolving domainwas observed.
$ sudo apt-get update Err:1 http://mirrors.xxxxxx.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease Temporary failure resolving 'mirrors.xxxxxx.com' Err:2 http://mirrors.xxxxxx.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease Temporary failure resolving 'mirrors.xxxxxx.com' Err:3 http://mirrors.xxxxxx.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease Temporary failure resolving 'mirrors.xxxxxx.com' Err:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease Temporary failure resolving ...
- Composer Manager: Composer’s install command must be run
After updating the Drupal 7 version in a website, the following error was observed in the configuration of the Composer Manager module.
Composer Manager: Composer's install command must be run to generate the autoloader and install the required packages.
The above message was followed by the status of packages managed by the Composer. ...
- Drupal: Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in block_block_view()
After updating the website to a new version of Drupal 7, the following error was printed on the web pages.
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in block_block_view() (line 247 of modules/block/block.module).
The error was resolved by the following steps.
2.1 Turn off block caching
From the Administration menu, Select Configuration --> ...
- Dovecot: Fatal: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf: protocols: Unknown protocol: sieve
While configuring the Dovecot Mail Delivery Agent, the Dovecot server would not start and the following error messages were printed.
$ sudo systemctl start dovecot Job for dovecot.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status dovecot.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details. $ systemctl status dovecot.service ● dovecot.service - Dovecot IMAP/POP3 ...
- How to execute PHP code in HTML under nginx server
PHP code was not getting executed in the index.html file when the concerned website was opened in a browser. nginx server was being used to serve the web pages.
2.1 Install php7.0-fpm
$ sudo apt-get install php7.0-fpm
- SSL Certificate expired, site not opening
A website stopped opening in browser, giving the error that the SSL certificate was either invalid or had expired.
Checking the website with wget,
$ wget https://www.example.com --2018-01-14 16:58:36-- https://www.example.com/ Resolving www.example.com (www.example.com)... 198.51.100.12, 2001:db8:1221:2341:f03c:f27b:12fa:2123 Connecting to www.example.com (www.example.com)|198.51.100.12|:443... connected.ERROR: cannot verify www.example.com's certificate, issued by ‘CN=Typical Encryption Authority X3,O=Typical Encryption,C=XX’: ...
- How to preserve exif metadata in images in Linux
1.0 Exif metadata not preserved by image editing program
Problem: After an image is developed and edited by image editing software and saved in a format like JPEG, it does not have the Exif metadata.
Surprisingly, quite a few image editing programs do not preserve the Exif metadata of images and attempts ...
- How to add the IPTC metadata in photographs using exiv2 in Linux
1.0 Adding the IPTC metadata
After a photograph has been taken and processed, it might be necessary to add IPTC metadata before it can be published. If your image editing software does not support adding of IPTC metadata to the image, you can accomplish this is by using the exiv2 command ...
- How to get the value of Pi in bc calculations
While using bc for calculations, the value of π is sometimes required. Sure, you might remember it as 3.1416, but it is better to use a higher precision value. And it's quite simple to do that.
First, we need to start bc with the option ...
- Error while executing the dig command
While executing the dig command, the
sendmsg() failed: Operation not permittederror was printed.
$ dig example.com ../../../../lib/isc/unix/net.c:581: sendmsg() failed: Operation not permitted ../../../../lib/isc/unix/net.c:581: sendmsg() failed: Operation not permitted ...
The error was resolved after adding the following iptables rules.
iptables -I OUTPUT 1 -p udp ...
- Analyzing the NGINX web server log file
Given an nginx web server log file, we might like to know who are the visitors to our website. One can go line by line through the log file, but that is tedious. It would be nice if we can get one line per client visiting the website, giving the IP ...
- Android adb install failure INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES
A signed APK of an Android app was built using the Android Studio. When we tried to download the signed APK to a device using the adb command, the command failed with the error, INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_NO_CERTIFICATES.
$ adb install app-release.apk app-release.apk: ...
- nginx drupal sitemap 404 not found
While trying to open sitemap.xml of a site served by nginx and built using Drupal CMS, the
404 Not Founderror was received. The nginx log file, error.log gave the error as,
80 open() sitemap.xml failed (2: No such file or directory).
- optipng: Error: Can’t back up the existing output file
While running optipng on a png file, the following error was obtained,
Error: Can't back up the existing output file
The file was not having the write permission. Once, the write mode bit for the file was set, optipng worked fine.
$ ls -ls ...
- Getting a project from GitHub
While searching on a topic, you land up on a GitHub page with code. The code looks interesting. But you can not work on it on GitHub. You need to get it on your computer to work on it. How to get it on your computer?
2.0 Solution: Get the repository
The code displayed on the ...
- Failed to send 300 byte long packet over fallback interface
While configuring a server, the following errors were noted in the logfiles.
send_packet: Operation not permitted dhclient.c:2386: Failed to send 300 byte long packet over fallback interface. DHCPREQUEST on eth0 port 67 (xid=0x1580bfd0) ...
There are two possibilities depending upon whether DHCP is being used for getting the network IP address or not.
- Dovecot: imap Error: open (/var/mail/username) failed
While configuring mail on a Ubuntu Linux server running the Postfix mail server and Dovecot IMAP server, the following errors were observed in the mail log files,
dovecot: imap(user1): Error: open(/var/mail/user1) failed: Permission denied (euid=1002(user1) egid=1002(user1) missing +w perm: /var/mail, we're not in ...
- Not able to access files on Android device in Nautilus from Linux desktop
After connecting an Android based phone with a Linux desktop using the USB cable, the files on the device are not shown by the Nautilus file manager. After clicking the tab for the device, an empty screen is displayed.
Recaptcha: Error for site owner
The login form for a Drupal based site had the username, password and recaptcha fields. However, instead of showing the image and input box, recaptcha displayed
ERROR for site owner, Invalid domain for site key. Thus, it became impossible to login to the site. This effectively locked access to the administration ...
- Android: AdbCommandRejectedException getting properties for device
From Android Studio, the connection to the device for debugging was not getting established. The ADB logs gave the repeated error,
PropertyFetcher: AdbCommandRejectedException getting properties for device ????????????: insufficient permissions for device
- As described in the documentation, Using Hardware Devices, a file /etc/udev/rules.d/51-android.rules was created.
- Using the
- Error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1
While building an Android app project under Studio, the build process terminated with the error,
After starting Android studio, running on Ubuntu 15.04 Linux, the following error was reported:
Git commands for common source code management use cases are listed.
2.0 Install Git
On a Ubuntu Linux system, Git can be installed with the command,
$ sudo apt-get install git
3.0 Set Identity
Before using Git, the user's identity (name, email) has to be set
$ git config --global user.email ...
$ ls -lsa total 60 4 drwxrwxr-x ...
1.0 Find most frequent words
Suppose we have a bunch of text files and we wish to find the most frequently used words ...
The problem was resolved by clearing the cache. In the administrative menu, the
502 Bad Gatewayerror along with the nginx version number was displayed. Looking in the log file showed an entry like,
2014/06/26 11:09:53 2539#0: *15 connect() to ...
The global scale variable gives the number of digits after the decimal point. By ...
PHP codeand it contained PHP code with an error. This broke the website resulting in blank screen web pages, the
white screen of death(WSOD). The error was rectified by manually updating the MySQL database.
From the command line, connect with the website database,
- Press CTRL ALT F1 together to switch to text mode and try to login.
- After login, check the free space in disk partitions ...
- Wireless is disabled by hardware switch
- Connecting two computers with Ethernet LAN cable
- Nginx 502 bad gateway error after switching off the mobile theme
- Nginx installation and configuration
(i) Download the nginx signing keys from ...
- Formatting the man command output for printing
1. Limiting the width of Linux man command output
- Starting a network server after communication interface is up
- md5sum: no properly formatted MD5 checksum lines found
- Remote Display With the X – Window System
- JRobin: Not able to save graph as a PNG file
- Watermarking images using GIMP
We will look at the process of watermarking images with an example. ...
- Making a logo using GIMP
- kernel panic – not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on ...
- Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
While running a GTK+ based C program under Cygwin, the following runtime error is observed,
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
Make sure that Cygwin/XServer is installed and is running. If it is not installed, download the relevant packages from Cygwin.
- Make sure that environment variable ...
- cygwin1.dll not found
cygwin1.dll not found
- Mounting Windows partitions under Linux
1. Examine the disk partitions. For example,
sudo fdisk -l
gives the output,
- Make sure that Cygwin/XServer is installed and is running. If it is not installed, download the relevant packages from Cygwin.
- Error while loading shared libraries: libz.so.1
- SSL Certificate expired, site not opening